Zhejiang Radio&TV Group, which owns a network of 12 TV and 8 radio channels, serves the Hangzhou city and Zhejiang province area with 450+ hours of programs every day. It consists of 14 wholly-owned subsidiaries covering industries of press, film-producing, IPTV, construction, etc. and 11 holding or joint stocking companies focused on digital TV and mobile TV.
In 2012, Zhejiang Television (ZJTV), as the representative of ZRTG group, planned to build an IP and cloud production center - Xiaoshan Film & TV Center - with an investment of 300 million euros in an area of 286,000 square meters.
The Xiaoshan Film & TV Center, as the largest media center ever in Zhejiang province, was planned to be the future base of:
• New Media production and broadcasting;
• Recording and editing TV shows, postproduction of TV and films;
• Expansion of broadcasting-related business.
ZJTV over the past years growed quickly in its modernization process by adopting latest information technologies, while some problems still exit:
• The utilization of hardware resources is too low;
• The business system is too complex, costing a lot to time and effort for maintenance;
• The platform of business system is difficult to upgrade and the construction cycle of a new system is too long.
Figure 1 Technique planning for ZJTV
To solve these problems, ZJTV was looking for:
• A Cloud Content Platform for all application systems;
• A Cloud desktop for working anytime and anywhere;
• The capability to support current & future business;
• The capability for big data analysis;
• Migrating and integrating current system into Cloud;
• A Cloud native and multi-tenant system.
ZJTV chose the MBH, an Omni-media content center together with cloud technology and state-of-the-art internet technology. The system is designed upon 3 business units of ZJTV and could be expanded itself to the whole group.
Figure 2 Infrastructure of Cloud
The siloed business structure of ZJTV stressed the need for a unified content platform that shares and exchanges diverse resources between enterprises, as well as Multi-tenant self-service, to break the boundary of business.
Another feature of the MBH is the ability to support a series of publishing toolsets through a flexible API, dynamically scalable and cloud-ready. Users feel free to share news, tune audio, edit, etc. with any tools they are familiar with. All kinds of platforms are supported, like AliCloud, VMware, HUAWEI Cloud, etc.
Furthermore, an agile, flexible management of a mixture of technologies and platforms, helps dispatch smoothly the resources and expand quickly the business through VPC technology while maintaining a low operational cost.
Lastly, the production process could be done anytime, anywhere, as the public and private cloud facilitate synchronization of contents from either in the field or in station, either from journalists or from mobile app users.